Saturday 7 July 2012

Classes 26-27...

Two classes in one week and both were thoroughly enjoyable and, even more pleasing, my body coped with the demands.

In the opening class we did the usual gruelling warm-up then worked on a choke from rear mount then used the same choke from rear mount to move into an armbar.

Key details from the rear choke involved placing my right hand across my opponent's chest and under his chin and getting the right hand as deep as possible into the back of his gi on the left side towards the back of his neck before confirming the grip. The left hand goes under the left side of the opponent under his armpit. First it helps loosen the gi collar for the right hand to go in, then it it secures the gi on the right side. Once in position the right arm pulls back to tighten the forearm bone across the carotid artery and the throat and the left pulls the gi collar down to apply more pressure and the choke should come on.

We then set this choke up again and the opponent rolled out onto the right hand side to relieve the pressure from the choke. The left underhook, however, helps secure then grab the opponent's left arm and you secure the arm with both hands and drop back for an armbar with the knees squeezing tightly together.

The second class was an open mat session and this involved spending time rolling and drilling techniques with whoever was present. A very helpful white belt showed me a few sweeps he'd learnt but these seemed far beyond me at the moment: too many fine motor skills when what I need is the gross motor skills. When we rolled together, though, I did OK and held my own and even escaped a very dicy side control position using a bridge and move escape I borrowed from Stephan Kesting.

The highlight of the class, though, was the chance to roll with a much stronger and heavier purple belt and pick his brains for half an hour. Some of the key bits I learnt were to keep my head down in side control so I couldn't be pushed back and rolled, an idea for attacking turtle, and he also showed me his favourite guard escape, which I intend to drill and use.

This went as follows: you are in your opponent's closed guard so posture up and grab his pants at the belt line and, with your hands on his hips, push his hips to the floor; once here wedge your left knee under the opponent's bum and pull the other leg back to base out; then lean backwards and break the guard while keeping his hips pinned; then pin the leg nearest you and pass over it and end up in side control.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Drill the guard escape and keep drilling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment