Monday 22 April 2013

Class 61...

Today was an open mat session and, after a thorough warm-up and stretch, I found myself paired with the first of three blue belts.

I’ve rolled with the first blue belt a bit before and he’s ridiculously fluid and graceful on the ground. But we rolled for dominant position and defence rather than submission and I actually did OK. I’m obviously aware he’s trying new stuff out and pretty much taking it easy, but whenever he put me in trouble I escaped or rolled out or found a suitable defence. I escaped several armbar and triangle attempts and recovered guard a few times, too. These were minor victories. Against somebody who wasn't trying very hard.

The second blue belt has just qualified for the worlds but was injured and also taking it easy. We had a gentle roll but I was so far out of my class it was unreal. One thing he did very well was to disrupt my base and sweep me with very little effort. I take the lesson with humility. I need to spend more time stabilising my position before attempting any form of submission.

The third blue belt is somebody I roll with much more and he’s also very good but this time we were going at it a bit more and I ended up tapping quite a lot. I was trying to do all the right things (recover guard, not leave an arm isolated, hip escape, stabilise my base, grip fight for a good opening position to avoid his guard) but he was just too fast and too drilled.

On the plus side, I felt like I was understanding a few things and putting them into practise but I know I’m still a long way from any form of competency. More mat time needed. But I already knew that…

LESSON FROM TODAY: Spend more time stabilising position before attempting any form of submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment