Saturday 26 October 2013

Grading...


My first BJJ grading and I went in with no expectations of getting anything. I also didn't know what the format was so I arrived early, warmed up and got my head in the right place.

But the grading was a presentation ceremony rather than the type of grading I'm used to, where you are tested then get the results at a later date. There was then an open mat session after the grading and the chance to roll with new people.

It was a very energising experience. Several of my friends who've really grafted changed belt colours and went from white to blue, while several senior belts I know were also promoted to the next colour up or got stripes.

I went in genuinely expecting nothing so I was delighted to get not one but two stripes on my white belt. My teacher did, however, tell me that I needed to get to more of the intermediate classes because, if I want to move up and get my blue belt, then he needs to see me spar, which is something we don't do in the beginner's classes.

Fortunately, I'm already on the case with this and I'm currently working out a new timetable to fit around my other commitments to ensure this happens. I'm also looking at competing in a few events next year, too, to make me really focus on my game.

It's taken me 84 classes over 22 months to get here. I need to do double that amount of classes in the next year alone to get to where I want to be. Time to commit properly methinks...

No comments:

Post a Comment