Sunday 25 January 2015

Classes 146 & 147...


First up was a mixed class on defending the seated guard against a standing opponent, while the standing man had to pass the guard of a seated opponent. 

I wasn't brilliant at either, but I did OK in sparring and I caught two opponents in a reverse kimura from a turtle set-up, then nearly lasted a full six-minute round against a solid blue belt. I spent of my time defending against the latter but I did OK. I'm also feeling more comfortable in sparring, too, and that's good! 

Second up was an open mat session and I had another lengthy battle defending myself against another solid blue belt, then I spotted a friend working on some kicks and punches and I offered myself as a MMA sparring opponent. 

I'd never done MMA before and my kicking and punching was decent enough, but I struggled in the transitional phases between striking, clinching and going to ground. But I guess this is the skill and I was probably over-thinking things as well. It was exhausting but fun and great for cardio work. 

Things to remember: Action, reaction, then your action on guard passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment