Monday 1 February 2016

Class 201...

An early morning class and some work on a sweep from half guard. 

The set-up went something like this: 
i) Opponent is in your half guard with you on the bottom; you have sleeve and collar control on the opposite side of the leg you are trapping; knee is high in armpit of opponent so kick it out to create space for underhook; drive into opponent and secure underhook with collar control arm and face close to armpit of opponent; arm grabs belt; switch leg so you can pull inside leg out; let go of wrist control and drive into oppoent doing a knee tap; end up on top or in side control. 

We then worked on a variation of this where the opponent keeps the underhooked arm and bases out so you end up side by side. The variation here was drive his shoulder to the mat and free the arm; then open the collar and apply a choke by securing the collar grip and dropping you weight over the other side of the opponent's body. 

Sparring was good and I'm trying to do two things at the moment: the first is to secure guard and attack; the second is to retain a defensive frame if I'm in trouble. 

This is bearing some fruit at the moment and today I held off two much stronger and heavier blue belts and I even threatened an attack at one point; then I more than held my own against two much younger and stronger white belts. I'm also finally trying to use my long legs and I even hit a leg triangle today. For the life of, however, I cannot do a basic Granby roll. 

But there were some little victories today and some signs of improvement. 

Things to remember: Attack at all times; use basic frame when defending position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment