Wednesday 20 April 2016

Classes 211, 212 & 213...

My BJJ rolling has been on something of a roll as far as class attendance is concerned in recent weeks. The cancellation of my regular midweek hapikdo class has certainly helped and, with me struggling to make other hapkido classes, any additional BJJ classes have become my default option. 

First up was a sparring class. It was also my 47th birthday and I thought this would be a good way to begin the year. It was, but an hour of six-minute rounds with minimal rest was also exhausting. I did OK, though, and tried to defend against the higher belts and attacked against my white belt peers. If nothing else, it was a good exercise in getting into an attack mentality. 

The next couple of classes were early morning affairs and there was some drilling, based on the trinity of armbar, triangle and omaplata, and holding position with underhooks in butterfly guard and an overhook in closed guard, then it was sparring.

We worked on specific positional sparring from these positions before we went into straight sparring. 

I did OK at sparring and I defended OK against the blue belts I was paired with and even threatened a few submissions. I did better against my white belt peers and successfully attacked with back climbs, omaplatas, triangles and kimuras. I feel like I'm getting nearer to blue belt status at the moment, but I'm still running into very good white belts who run over me. I'm doing OK, though, for a bloke who's giving somewhere between 10 and 20 years to a lot of opponents. 

Things to remember: Attack is the best from of defence, so always look for attack options.

No comments:

Post a Comment