Monday 23 May 2016

Classes 217 & 218...

First up was another morning class doing guard passing drills and sparring. I was mainly partnered with junior white belts, so I was fine in sparring. We then ended the session with a brutal series of press-ups and sit-ups. It was a high-intensity session but a good one.

Next up was another morning session, this time focusing on arm dragging a standing opponent from a seated position. The take-home on this was to synchronise your weight dropping backwards and to the side while tugging the opponent's weight forwards. If the opponent defends against the arm drag, the follow-up attack involves driving forward and doing an ankle pick and driving through the opponent. 

The key defence against the arm drag involved moving to face the opponent at a point where they cannot base, then grabbing a leg and driving into the opponent to secure side control. 

We also worked on two attacks against a seated opponent who had a sleeve grab in place. Both attacks involved stepping into the opponent and securing the arm then falling into an attack. The opening attack involved an armbar, while the second one was a leg triangle. I can see me using both of these attacks.

In sparring, I was mainly partnered with junior white belts and I was fine, hitting armbars, a reverse kimura, an omoplata and a triangle. I then got partnered with a much heavier white belt and I tried everything possible to shift him when he secured top position in side control. I cracked the door open a bit but his smothering game was very good.

Things to remember: Keep attacking from guard; keep working on side mount escapes; use the step-over armbar and leg triangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment