Friday 1 July 2016

Classes 225, 226 & 227...

Three early-morning classes focusing on guard passing and guard retention from half-guard

The two take-home points from these classes were using the frame on the bottom to attack the man on top and destabilise him

One attack involved securing an underhook on the same side as the trapped leg, then securing the opponent's opposite arm and pulling that in and driving off the foot on the floor to sweep. The other involved securing an overhook on the closest arm at the side of the trapped leg, then using the overhook as a whizzer, and driving through the opponent to collapse him into side control. 

The other take-home from these classes was a Eureka moment and it was simple: a defensive frame can also become an attacking frame. This is such an obvious thing and one that I know from other martial arts, but I'd never made the conceptual connection at BJJ. 

I did fine in sparring against my peers and survived against a few higher belts and even threatened a few submissions. I also got to roll with a brown belt and was thoroughly outclassed in all departments. It was both a humbling and quite inspiring experience, because he didn't do anything too flash. But what he did do was so competent and sleekly executed. 

I also picked up a minor back injury, too, but I should be OK for my opening tournament of the year in nine days. I hope.

Things to remember: use the defensive frame as a launchpad to attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment