Saturday 18 November 2017

Classes 288, 289 & 290...

Three classes and some good stuff in all three.

First up was a seminar with Sidney Silva, who taught a basic butterfly sweep that then transitioned into a bridge and roll escape for the swept man, which then ended in a foot lock.

In the second and third classes, we continued to work on sweeps from the bottom in half guard with a high frame. 

My favourite one of these involved the opponent collapsing the frame of the man on the bottom, then the bottom man attacking for an omoplata. Failing that the right arm and leg of the opponent becomes trapped and your right foot hooks on the inside thigh of the opponent's left leg, then you drop back and use the hook to lift him up and sweep him to the side he has no base.

I am starting to experiment with butterfly guard a lot, but I often get lazy and forget to keep the hooks active. I cannot afford to do this. 

I did OK in sparring but I went far too hard for too long and exhausted myself. I need to get better at retaining my frame to fend off the opponent and helping to conserve my energy. 

Things to remember: Keep butterfly hooks active; focus on frame retention.

No comments:

Post a Comment