Sunday 28 October 2018

Class 306...

Today was my second BJJ class since returning from injury (or 'ninja-ry' as the Missus calls it) and it was another open mat.

I rolled with a couple of very good blue belts and had a roll with a purple belt who's also very good. I am still a way off the pace, but I didn't disgrace myself either and I nearly hit a couple of nice wrist locks and a reverse triangle choke from bottom side control.

At the end of the class, a white belt sought some advice on what to do if he was getting smashed on the bottom in half guard. I suggested a couple of things, such as getting a frame in place on the throat and hip of the opponent to relieve pressure, then recover guard.

I then feared that I wasn't really qualified to give advice, so I asked a purple belt to help out. He offered the same advice, which made me realise I maybe have learnt some key lessons somewhere along the way. Then the purple belt also showed a few sweeps from bottom position when the frame is in place.

I end up in half guard bottom a lot, so it was good to see what somebody better does.

Things to remember: establish frame on bottom in half guard; use back attack from knee and also learn hook and roll sweep.

No comments:

Post a Comment