Tuesday 14 February 2012

Class 6...

After five classes at the previous school I decided to try a new school out today.

I liked the old school but the continued non-attendance of the chief instructor and a very small turnout meant that white or blue belts were running classes. And while the junior belts were pretty good, the fact the instructor was never there made me realise I needed to look elsewhere.

But I'm glad I went as it made me realise that I could do this and the white and blue belts I worked with helped underline some fundamentals that I needed to get my head around. So it wasn't a totally wasted experience.

One lesson in at the new school, however, and I'm hooked. The teacher is always on site and I counted at least three brown belts in the lunchtime class alongside the assistant instructor, who's also a senior brown belt.

The class was also very well structured, beginning with a light warm-up, which moved into a physically demanding workout. We then moved into a technique demonstration, which students worked on, before moving into guard-passing drills followed by free sparring.

It's a bit of a trek compared to the other gym but it's going to be worth it. The teacher is relaxed and knowledgeable, the students are friendly and welcoming, and the gym itself is a purpose-built facility with lots of classes throughout the day.

I think I've found a home for my BJJ studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment