Thursday 23 February 2012

Class 7...

Class number two at the new school and class number seven in total.

Today we worked an overhead sweep that allows the player on his back to sweep the opponent in his guard over his head and roll out on top. We then worked on an adapted version of this where the player on the bottom uses the same entry to the sweep but then switches his feet and swivels round so he pushes the opponent over into an omo plata, which if the opponent rolls then turns into an armbar.

It's the third technique we've gone through here and while it feels a little over my head at the moment it's still giving me valuable ground time drilling techniques and getting my body used to rolling with people.

Another thing we worked on today was grip fighting and, as I discovered, I'm quite bad at this. I did pick up the idea of grabbing a gi sleeve using a pistol grip, though, and I'm also working on various methods of gripping my opponent's gi collar.

I got tapped a few times in sparring today but I also held my own against a few people with much more experience. At the moment it's survival strategy during sparring as I'm working out where I'm going with my body and trying to stabilise my position. I'm also getting better at using my feet to defend my position or fight back by pinning my opponent's legs when I'm in danger. Little baby steps...

But that's cool. The time to worry about submissions will come later.

LESSON FROM TODAY: use the pistol grip on the gi sleeve; keep using your feet more to defend your position by getting hold of your opponent; improve your grip strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment