Thursday 1 March 2012

Class 8...

It was a much smaller class than normal today, with only me, a new white belt, a more experienced white belt, a blue belt and the instructor in attendance.

We kicked off proceedings with the usual warm-up of jogging and roll-falling and then did a neat exercise to simulate a double-leg takedown at one end of the mats followed by a sprawl at the other end of the mats.

We then worked a reversal from guard where the bottom person secures an arm, pushes up through the hips, then rolls the opponent into an armbar. The second position we worked involved a scissor sweep where the person on the bottom ends up in full mount collar choking the opponent.

After that we did some sparring. The new white belt turned out to be a former judoka with huge strength but I did OK with both him and the other white belt. The blue belt, however, was very good and I only once managed to contain him for any length of time. His movement was very slick and fluid while I felt a little slow and predictable.

On the plus side, though, my fitness is improving and my body is slowly getting used to the demands of ground fighting. I’m also slowly starting to understand that if I’m pinned by a bigger opponent then it becomes more about moving my body than moving his.

LESSON FROM TODAY: if I’m pinned by a bigger opponent it’s more about moving my body than moving his.

No comments:

Post a Comment