Thursday 29 March 2012

Class 11...

Today's class started with 30 minutes of yoga. I'd attended one of these classes before and found it very difficult but this week I felt a little more at home and not quite so awful. My body also felt very good in the class afterwards.

Onto the BJJ class proper and we spent time doing some basic scrambling drills designed to get top position. I need more of this type of stuff and am looking at upping my class attendance to twice a week to include the beginner's class in my routine. But even if I don't do this, one class a week is better than no classes.

In sparring the teacher made several points very well.

The first was he doesn't like being called 'Sir'. He took me to a picture of some saintly looking old man on the wall and said 'When you call me sir you make me feel as old as him.'

In sparring with a senior belt he then underlined the importance of bridging and shrimping. It sort of made sense as bad things generally happen when my back is flat on the floor and I'm not moving as it allows my opponent to secure a much stronger top position.

He also emphasised the importance of shrimping out and pushing the opponent away when he gets to knee on belly.

This, of course, is all very basic stuff. But like all basic stuff it needs to be drilled and drilled again in order for it to sink in.

LESSON FROM TODAY: bridge and bridge again; shrimp and shrimp again.

No comments:

Post a Comment