Wednesday 25 April 2012

Class 13...

I arrived expecting 30 minutes of yoga before facing an hour of grappling. Sadly the yoga teacher did not arrive so we had 30 minutes of gruelling exercise drills instead.

After this we did a basic guard pass from a standing position then turned this into a part-sparring drill before moving onto sparring proper.

The guard pass essentially involves controlling your opponent' legs then knees and pushing them to one side so you can eventually get knee on belly or pass into side control. The technical bits of this, however, include keeping your feet far enough back so your opponent can't pull you into his guard and also ensuring your knee and elbow touch so he can't drive his knee through and recover half guard. You also have to remember to posture up so your opponent can't grab your lapel or head to control your posture.

It's tricky stuff for a beginner but it's also the sort of basic stuff I need to get down. This will, however, take time.

In sparring I'm either getting tapped quickly or holding my own once I solidify my base and cage the opponent's hips. I also ended up with a few people in my guard and did OK. But I also know I don't have the mat time to really know what I'm doing there yet. I did jump on an armbar opportunity today, though, and had some success with bridging and rolling, too.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Legs back and posture up is basic position when attempting to pass an opponent's open guard from standing; elbow and knee must form a unit when attempting to pass an open guard or the opponent will quickly recover his own half or full guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment