Wednesday 25 April 2012

Class 14...

An enforced one-week lay-off due to work and other commitments so the prospect of a Monday class followed by another class later in the week has me ready and raring.

A quick warm-up of jogging, falling, press-ups and stomach crunches and my enthusiasm, somewhat surprisingly, remained undimmed.

We were then straight into a sweep from the back to take a standing opponent onto his back with you ending up knee on belly. From a seated open guard, this involved placing the feet on the standing man's hips and holding his gi sleeves with a pistol grip and bringing your elbows to the floor to break his posture, then placing the left foot in the elbow of his arm and stretching him out to start off-balancing him. There was then a 90 degree spin and your right hand grabbed his gi pants leg as you swept and rolled him over and he ended up on his back and you ended up on top. There are details missing here but I'll find them out and include them at a later date.

It was then onto an exercise where one player had to retain the sleeve grips on his opponent and sweep him while the other player had to break the sleeve grips and stack his opponent. This was quite good fun... until I got stacked very quickly and heard several things go pop in my neck. Fortunately it was nothing too serious.

In sparring I again did OK. I got paired with my judo friend who's very strong and knows how to base out and spread his weight. He got the better of me today but I again had success with bridging and rolling. I also ended up in guard a few times and am no longer feeling quite so inept in this position.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Grips are important; I need to learn more about grips and gripping strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment