Tuesday 11 March 2014

Classes 101, 102, 103 & 104...


In the first three classes, we were working on positional drills and avoiding guard. 

There was also a sweep from open guard that relies on swimming your left leg over the arm of the opponent so your foot ends up in his armpit, virtually trapping his arm. Your right hand then swims under his opposite leg to grab his gi trousers and you pull him in, then pull him over you.


It was all quite basic stuff but this is the sort of quite basic stuff I wouldn't mind spending more time on. I certainly need it. 


The final class, however, was the real treat: a 90-minute class with 12 six-minute rounds of sparring broken by 30-second intervals. I got tapped, I got bruised, I got sweaty, I got a bit injured, I ended up in some dodgy positions and I even avoided some dodgy positions. I also used my new sweep from half guard to good effect.


 It was one of those really challenging and really tiring but amazingly life-affirming things.


Things to remember: Drill the basics; keep using and refining the half-guard sweep.

No comments:

Post a Comment