Friday 6 June 2014

Classes 115-116...

A beginners class followed by an open mat session.

I struggled to understand much of the beginners class as my hearing was playing up a bit, but the basic principles were about using your legs to help break down the posture of the person in your full guard. This then made it easier to apply collar chokes.

We also worked on an omoplata entry from guard that involved collapsing your opponent using your legs, then threading one hand under one of the opponent's leg and using that to help you spin through to lock the arm. You also hold onto the leg to prevent the opponent escaping. I did some net research on this and there's also a sweep option to apply by stretching your opponent out and rolling him to the side he can't base out on.

The open mat involved some light sparring and I had some success with a reverse armlock that I use from turtle. I'm still unsure whether this is just a lunatic idea or whether it's a viable option. I need more experimentation but I have tapped a couple of blue belts with it. It's still a last-ditch effort technique, though, rather than a bread-and-butter one.

I also learnt a great leg position from on the bottom in half guard, which involved triangle locking one of the opponent's legs then hooking the spare foot underneath to secure the leg, then using this lock to extend the opponent and put pressure on his leg. It's not a tapout technique but it does de-stabilise position and can help to set up a sweep.

I also forgot to mention the Y-frame. We did some work on this and setting up sweeps from it. The basics involved operating from your back in with your legs together and in front of the opponent and your feel behind his hips. Getting wrist control enables triangle chokes, armlocks and omoplatas.

Things to remember: The Y-frame, the leg stretch and collapsing the opponent's posture before attacking with techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment