Monday 30 June 2014

Classes 119, 120 & 121...

Three classes in quick succession as my BJJ training starts to ramp up in intensity. 

Class one was a beginners class where we worked on a guard sweep/smash where the man in full guard gets both his hands underneath the legs of the opponent and connects his hands palm-to-palm after wrapping them in front of his opponent's thighs. He then pulls the man on the bottom up onto his knees and uses his connected hands to push the opponent's legs to one side as he takes side control. 

The key thing emphasised here was keeping in contact with the man on the bottom to limit his space and movement options. There was also an option to pin one of the opponent's hips and connect the legs with one hand only by grabbing the gi trousers. This limits the movement of the opponent even more.

Class two was an open mat session where a visiting black belt showed a sweep from deep half guard. This was way above my skill level, but I got a rough idea of what deep half guard is and I also liked and understood the mechanics of the sweep and how you unbalanced and swept the standing man, then followed his momentum to end up on top. I did, however, also get the chance to work on the sleeve (goodbye) choke. I also got to roll with one of my blue belt friends who emphasised closing the space at all times. 

Class three was an intermediate class where we worked on the De La Riva Guard and a connected sweep. It was the first time I'd done this and it seems to involve one leg driving through at an angle to trap behind one knee and the front of the thigh on the other leg. The same side hand also grabs an opponent's leg at the ankle, while the other leg has the foot in the hip and the hand has wrist control.

Many of the subtleties were lost on me but I'll have a look at it  again and see what I think.

Things to remember: Guard smash, close the space, look at the De La Riva guard again.

No comments:

Post a Comment