Saturday 2 August 2014

Class 131...

Today was an open mat session and I had the chance to roll with a very good brown belt. 

I've seen the brown belt in action before and not only is he incredibly good, he's also very helpful and an incredibly good teacher. I've seen him explain techniques before and he makes often complex theories sound significantly less frightening.

My defence was sort of OK against him but he was clearly going easy on me. I also picked his brains on my competition theory and he thought it was eminently workable. Plan beats no plan. 

I also did some work on standing guard passes and he explained two key ideas: the first was that if I was trying to pass while standing, I had to maintain my posture and not have my head down because this made it easy for an opponent to grab it; the second was if I was in guard and defending against a standing opponent, I needed to ensure my opponent was always directly in front of me. He likened it to driving and ensuring you had the steering wheel and dashboard in front of you at all times. 

I also rolled with man mountain of muscle blue belt. Again, I defended OK but he was just too strong for much of the time. 

Finally, I did some work on drilling throws and I also tried to understand the arm drag and played with that for a bit. 

Things to remember: Plan beats no plan; posture on standing guard passes; hand positions and grips on arm drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment