Wednesday 20 May 2015

Class 163...

Another early-morning session, featuring a back climb and a sweep from the bottom in half guard from the previous class. There was an initial variation I missed on this, which went something like this:

i) Opponent's right leg is trapped in your half guard; you have a high half-guard control, which means your left leg is under the armpit of the opponent and your left arm is on the inside of your left leg; use your leg to push the opponent off; as he pressures back down, secure the left underhook and shrimp down so your head is on the belly of the opponent and you are propped up on your right elbow; from here, reach round and attack the back. 

I was paired with a very helpful purple belt who showed me some gripping sequences to turn the back take options into a choke. The key seemed to be either establishing a collar grip or moving into the rear naked choke. 

I again did OK in sparring and I felt quite mobile against three fellow white belts. I also defended quite well and locked in a few submissions, including a kimura and the knuckle variation of an Ezekiel choke. 

I struggled to pass one of my fellow white belt's open guards, though. I need to look at some guard passing strategies again. 

Things to remember: Keep using the Ezekiel choke; do some research into guard breaking, then guard passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment