Saturday 15 August 2015

Class 175...

Another open mat session and a bit of light sparring. 

My injuries are healing up and my body is slowly returning to normal, but I'm off the pace with movements and recognising basic positions and threats. 

I did some gi sparring and got shown a really useful escape from on the bottom in scarf hold, which involved dropping onto my shoulder so I'm sort of back to back with my opponent, then connecting my hands around the waist of my opponent, and rolling over so I end up on top. 

I also did a bit of no-gi. This was fun and I'm slowly working out what to grab and what submissions I can use without the gi. It's fun but it's quite fast-paced. 

Sadly, I'm  unlikely to compete at a tournament I've entered this week. My ribs are so-so, but a knee injury has recurred, and it's hard enough competing when I'm fully fit never mind when I'm half fit! 

This is annoying but I have to take the long-term view. There's no point competing when I'm half fit and risking a re-injury and being out for another six to seven weeks. It's good to be back on the mats, though.

Things to remember: The escape from scarfhold.

No comments:

Post a Comment