Friday 18 September 2015

Classes 181 & 182…

First up, an early-morning session and a class focusing on the Toreador Pass from standing. The key details taught in this class were the thumbs facing each other as the standing man grabs the gi pants at the knee of the opponent on the floor, then swapping hands on the changeover so the hand driving the top leg down is the moved hand and the other hand is driving for head control.

The choke that then follows involves securing side control with the head control arm under the neck. The other hand then feeds the tip of the gi jacket flap from one hand to the other, before moving to north-south and dropping both elbows to the mat and using the elbow pressure and the movement to choke the opponent out.

Sparring was fab and I did well against a few fellow white belts at about my level, and I survived against a decent blue belt, too.

Second up was an open mat session. This was pretty continuous sparring for about an hour and I did better against a white belt colleague who's a good wrestler, then I got to roll with a very light and very mobile blue belt, before finishing off with a very muscular and big purple belt. I got pretty comprehensively ruined against all three in the end, but my defense was OK and I did pick up a few key pointers. 
I also felt like my engine was up and running. This was my fifth martial arts class of the week.

Things to remember: Don't cross your arm over your middle line. I did this a lot today then had to fight like crazy to get it back. Keep your knee up when somebody is trying to close guard around you. It makes it very hard to close the legs. It also gives you escape options.

No comments:

Post a Comment