Monday 31 October 2016

Private Class No.14...

A private class working on wrist locks for BJJ. 

We worked on a few gooseneck compression locks from side mount, triangle and mount. The key dynamics were backstop opponent's elbow, turn wrist at an angle, then compress.

My favourite, however, and the lock I intend to use right away is the compression lock from a gi collar grab. The mechanics of this are:
Opponent grabs same side gi collar; use both hands to lock opponent's arm in place above bicep with elbows in tight; move in with head on opponent's shoulder facing away from him; move opponent's arm towards his rib cage and roll shoulder in to attack integrity of straight wrist; pull opponent's arm in and retain shoulder roll to close space and get tap.

This is an attack that can be used from both standing and kneeling to either force a submission or take an opponent down.

I also talked to my teacher about how I was using the overhook to link full guard and half guard; and how I was also starting to use butterfly guard. He suggested I also use the overhook attack to link all three guards. 

This is going to take silly amounts of time but my mind is now officially blown by new possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment