Wednesday 9 August 2017

Classes 278 & 279...

Today was an open mat session where I got comprehensively ruined by any fellow blue belt I sparred with. I caused problems for some of them at times, but I was outgunned on all fronts by younger, stronger, bigger and, more importantly, just better fighters. The key thing that they were all better at was fighting for a stronger position, securing that position, then attacking from there.

The following morning class focused on guard passing using the double unders pass. I like this pass and I use this and the hug pass a lot. The takehome points went something like this:

i) You are in the open guard of the opponent and you put both your hands under his thighs and connect your hands in front of you; pull the opponent's hips up off the floor and stack him and apply pressure by driving in with active toes; try to secure the armpits of the opponent's gi as you stack him; drive a knee into the side of the opponent you want to pass and use the knee to pin his arm to the floor; compress the opponent and move into side control.

Sparring was much better at this class and I held my own against some decent people. I am also using wrist locks a lot more and starting to see the possibilities of setting them up. I am still a long way from having them as an effective weapon, though.

Things to remember: Double unders and hug pass; keep the integrity of frame and structure; continue to drill side control escapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment