Thursday 29 March 2018

Class 300...

Hurray! I may not be a very good blue belt, but today I have made it to 300 classes at BJJ. Sadly, I hadn't trained for about two weeks because of work and I was well off the pace. 

We did some work on takedown to attack from the DLR position. The basic one we used was: 
i) From standing, grip opponent's left collar with own right hand; pull down the collar and spiral out to your left as you insert your left leg behind the right leg of the opponent; then insert DLR hook and attack from there.

The variations from this involved the standing man stepping back and dropping down into base position while ensuring there was no space under the right arm for the opponent to insert a knee shield of some description; then it's a matter of securing a grip on the opponent's collar or arm, knee slicing, and dropping into side control. The man on the bottom also has the option of trapping the stand man's knee and using this to destablisie him. 

I was pretty ropey in sparring but I had enough muscle memory to at least be compact and not leave arms poking out for massively easy submissions. I am also getting a tiny bit better at using my legs as a barrier and not letting people pass me as easily. I sort of managed to keep my hooks active today. 

It was a gruelling class, though, with lots of additional press-ups, star jumps, burpees and squats thrown in. It was good to be back, though. After 300 classes, I should probably be a lot better. But I'd be much worse if I hadn't started at all.

Things to remember: Keep hooks active; drill takedown.

No comments:

Post a Comment