Friday 1 March 2019

Class 333...

Tonight a gi class and some work on passing when the bottom man has a half guard locked in.

Half guard pass: secure grab collar and sleeve control of opponent on bottom; use your own chest to smash knee shield flat; use collar grab to pull opponent in so he is compacted; overhook opponent's legs with other hand; sprawl out to break half guard, then use overhook on legs to control opponent; secure head control; then escape side control, lift legs and drive opponent onto opposite side and end up in side control.

Half guard pass: secure grab collar and sleeve control of opponent on bottom; punch fist between opponent's legs to block his leg movement; pull opponent in so he is compacted; sprawl out and pass into side control.

We did some King of the Guard exercises where the man on bottom has to keep his half guard and the man on top had to escape or pass. I was OK at this. 

Sparring was ropey and I struggled to contain a decent white belt who used lockdown. I also forgot how to escape lockdown, so I need to brush up on that. I did manage to hit a De La Riva sweep on a good purple belt before he submitted me, then I got ruined by a senior belt who got various dominant positions and held onto them. 

The whole class, and sparring in particular, was a real struggle today. I felt tired and I was not at all with it. I also couldn't lock up my Williams guard, which I've been experimenting with. But that happens. I felt like I was doing OK, then I feel like this class was a few steps backwards. 

Things to remember: Half guard passes; learn escape from lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment