Saturday 2 March 2019

Class 334...

An open mat session with some no-gi sparring and a bit of time drilling some techniques. 

I was mainly sparring with people about the same level as me or slightly higher or slightly lower, and I am consequently felt a little more comfortable about things as I didn't get ruined. Not constantly being on the defensive also allowed me to assess things and I think I'm getting better at keeping my hooks active in open guard and butterfly guard. But I do still have a tendency to get lazy with my foot placement on an opponent's hips and forget to create tension, meaning I still fall for the odd avoidable foot lock here and there. 

I am still experimenting with Williams Guard, as well, and I worked out the mechanics of the choke using a leg and two wrists. I also got given a couple of pointers on the Darce Choke, and I explained the basics of holding a defensive frame when on the bottom in side control and using this frame to escape side control to one new student. 

I sparred pretty much all of the way through the hour and I felt reasonably good at the end of it. I need to better at pulling the trigger on submissions, though. I am still sometimes lazy about getting the finish once I have the position. 

Things to remember: Williams Guard choke, Darce choke and active foot placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment