Monday 11 June 2012

Class 21...



Today a class on standing takedowns and using the sprawl to avoid getting taken down from the single or double-leg. I enjoyed this and did OK although I quite literally walked into a couple of chokes. My base was generally pretty solid, though, and I even managed a few Judo-style throws into the bargain.

A key detail from the class was to grab the gi lapel of the opponent with four fingers inside with the thumb pointing down and you staring at the back of your hand. This may sound a bit odd but it makes it easier to make a frame against you opponent and fend him off. It also makes it easier to set up the 'goodbye choke'.

In sparring I got tapped a lot but also managed a few submissions of my own. I'm also working on a choke from side control using the bottom flap of the opponent's gi. I also played with a few other chokes.

Side control seems to be the position I'm most comfortable in at the moment and the one I seem to find myself in a lot when I've successfully passed guard so I'm spending some time reading up and viewing scarf hold positions and submissions.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Thumb down when grip fighting to help secure frame using arm to fend off opponent.


No comments:

Post a Comment