Sunday 3 June 2012

Classes 18-19...

Two classes in one week and my body survived the experience so my fitness is obviously improving.

In class 18 we did another sweep from open guard. This involved hooking an opponent's standing leg with your foot, getting wrist control by pistol gripping the sleeve of his gi and driving your other leg through him as you chop his hooked foot and pull his arm to the side. I may not be remembering the details of all the sweeps we're working on but the principle is now becoming much clearer: remove the posts on one side and use your other limbs to sweep or collapse the opponent on the side he cannot post out on. There will be a point some time soon when I remember this under the pressure of sparring and sweep someone from open guard. Hopefully...

In class 19 we ran a good exercise where the opponent is in your closed guard and you attack with an armbar, then allow his to pull his arm out of the armbar and you roll into an omoplata, before allowing your opponent to put you back on your back and you finish with a leg triangle.

This is exactly the type of drill I need to repeat as it teaches three submissions that flow quite easily from one another. Getting to grips with it was fine as I was training with a very helpful but very good white belt and my understanding of the armbar and the omoplata was sort of OK, but I got to play with a leg triangle against a slightly resisting opponent and this needs much more work.

The key lesson least here, though, is not to panic if I don't lock the position straight away. The move to a leg triangle is also a good holding position if I grab my ankle with my opposite arm and use it to break and keep my opponent's posture down and use this to improve my position.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Repeating and drilling basic submissions is essential to progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment