Tuesday 26 June 2012

Class 23...

Today my focus was all over the place and I paid the price.

The warm-up seemed harder work than usual but that was probably because we did more press-ups than usual and I’m pretty rubbish at press-ups. This is obviously something I need to address and I have since downloaded a phone app to track and increase my press-up numbers in the next few months.

In class we worked an armbar and a defence/escape from an armbar, then an omoplata and a defence/escape from an omoplata, then a leg triangle and a defence/escape from a leg triangle.

The key information I retain from the armbar application was that my foot goes on the hip behind the elbow I am attacking to prevent the opponent pulling it out.

For the armbar defence I need stack my opponent and bring my free hand to the wrist of the arm under attack. The stack, the knee in the opponent’s bum and the free arm coming in help prevent the opponent stretching out to apply hip pressure and close out the armbar. It’s then a case of lawnmowering the arm out of there and moving into side control as you collapse the stacked opponent.

The omoplata defence relied on turning the arm the other way and grabbing the opponent’s leg to relieve pressure on the shoulder, then moving around 180 degrees to end up in side control as the once-trapped arm is freed.

The leg triangle defence also relied on stacking the opponent but I didn't retain the rest of the details on that technique.

Sparring was tough and I didn’t have much success, although I did manage to retain position in my opponent’s guard a few times thanks to the caging the hips technique. It's always good to train, though, even if you don't feel like it.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Armbar details concerning the foot on the hip and the armbar escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment