Friday 13 December 2013

Classes 90 & 91...

This week it was an open-mat session followed by a beginners class. 

The open mat session was great fun as I spent some time doing some no-gi sparring, which I'm increasingly liking as there are no gi attacks to worry about and it's harder for an opponent to land handles on you. I'm also allowed to use wrist locks and leg locks so I get to play with more toys. 


I also used the session to pick the brains of a very helpful purple belt when it came to drilling guard breaks. I went through the three breaks that I use most commonly and he showed me another one that relies on just controlling one hip by applying huge downward pressure, then stepping back and cracking the legs open. The main lesson he emphasises, though was to always apply downward pressure on the opponent's hips. 


The beginners class was all about drilling guard passes and moving around a grounded opponent. The key move here was your right hand on the opponent's left knee and moving round to your right side, then pulling down the knee, moving the left hand to the stomach, moving the knee forward and dropping down into side control. 


Things to remember: Play with new guard break and remember to avoid opponent's legs when moving around the opponent's guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment