Saturday 28 November 2015

Classes 192 & 193...

A morning class followed by an open mat session. 

In the morning class, we continued to work on spider guard and did specific drilling to defend and attack the position from sleeve and bicep control. The take-home here was to keep tension if you're defending the position or using it to attack, and get rid of the sleeve control by grabbing the pants and walking the hands and using the hips if you are attacking the position or trying to get round it. 

Sparring was good and I'm starting to get back into a groove with it. I'm still not very good, but I'm not making daft mistakes and I even hit a few sweeps and also got my first tap with a foot lock.

The open mat session was fab and exhausting. I sparred with my small but mobile blue belt friend and held my own, but the speed of his movement is extraordinary... even when he's carrying rib injuries and a damaged knee. I then sparred with a couple of white belts and did OK keeping guard and attacking from guard. 

I also did a bit go no-gi. I did OK at this against one opponent, but I got comprehensively ruined against a much higher belt. I don't really do no-gi, though, so I'm not too worried about this. I did remember not to surrender the undertook, though, and I rolled to the correct side to escape a body triangle, so little victories among the carnage!

Things to remember: How to defend and attack spider guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment